Help! Something blew on my engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Something blew on my engine
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 17:25:57 -0500 (EST)
Just one day before Indy and something blew on my TD engine. It was finally
reving well enough to do 55 when something gave out. I was doing a smidge over
55 when it started making a loud clanking, sort of like real loud valve
noise. I nursed it home and pulled the spark plugs out and took the valve cover
off. I saw nothing unusual under the valve cover. I turned the engin over
with the crank, and was surprised that it turned smoothly, no noise what so
ever.
What should I look for next? By the way oil pressure was good the whole time
and the temperature never went above 190.

I don't have any engine experience other than tune-ups. I have just put 450
miles on it since a 25 year storage. I live 50 miles north of Indianapolis
in Kokomo Indiana. If you're passing through and are in a mechanical mood, stop
by. My phone is 453-7231. The B is still in the body shop so I am completely out
of MGs.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration