Re: Preservatives for rubber seals

To: MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Preservatives for rubber seals
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:59:03 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 25 Jun 1996 MGBCHRIS@aol.com wrote:

> Having recently read several postings regarding the use of Armor-All, and
> similar materials on convertible tops, several questions remain.
>
> 1.  I recently replaced the windshield frame to body seal.  This is not fun,
> and I wouldn't want to do it again if I can avoid it.  What is a suitable
> preservative to prevent the rot of this, and other rubber body seals?
>
> 2.  Perhaps I missed it, but why can't we use Armor-all type products on
> vinyl (PVC).  I agree that the initial shine is too much, but will the
> material be damaged?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> MGBChris@aol.com

Chris, it seems like Armor All and related products tend to shrink tonneau
covers and tops.
Someone had even reportd that the instructions with his new top prohibited
the use of these products.
Personally, I think a tonneau will shrink even w/o AA. Maybe not as fast
though...

Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy