Re: rubber GTs

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: rubber GTs
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:40:29 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Will Zehring wrote:

> Dave B. writes:
>
> >I read somewhere that the decision to remove the rubber bumper GT from North
> >America (US) was emissions related. Seems that the GT, due to the extra
> >weight, could not pass the EPA requirements.
>

> If I had to add my two cents worth, and it seems that I do, I would suggest
> that the GT was discontinued because it didn't meet higher rollover
> requirements.  That begs the issue of how the roadster survived.  I'm not
Will, that sure does disarm your theory...
Those higher rollover requirements never got passed, by the way (or
obviously).
Had they been passed, the only open cars that would have been allowed to
be imported would have been the Fiat X 1/9 (it was specifically designed to
meet these feared new standards - that's why it is a little heavy) and the
Lamborghini Jalpa (also a Targa).

Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy