Re: Rubber GTs

To: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Subject: Re: Rubber GTs
From: "Eric L. Van Iderstine" <elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 17:16:00 -0500 (CDT)

With the efficiencies of gasoline engines being around 25%, MOST of the
energy goes out the exhaust......or out the radiator.

I was under the impression that low speed "road" horsepower was RATHER
low, ie around 10 hp  or less.  I'll take a look at some tire data from
Goodyear on racing slicks we used on our SAE Fornula car......but from
memory for their 7x20-13 (7" wide, 20" OD for 13" wheel) @ 15 psiwith a
400 pound load had a rolling resistance of 15 pounds.

But since this is waaay off the original topic, I'll give my own theory
on the reason for few rubber bumpered GTs......

Geez, who wants a rubber bumpered car?

On Fri, 28 Jun
1996 Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com wrote:

>      The increased load on the engine comes from increased rolling
>      resistance (as well as the extra energy required to accelerate) -- ie.
>      the amount of energy required to turn the tyres given the weight they
>      are carrying. When cruising below about 50mph, most of the gasoline
>      you use is devoted to this task!
>
>      Rgds,
>          Simon

Eric L. Van Iderstine
Mississippi State University .....ALUMNI.......!!!!!!
elv1@Ra.MsState.Edu     http://www2.msstate.edu/~elv1
74 MGB
96 Formula SAE