Re: rubber GTs

To: MGBCHRIS@aol.com, ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: rubber GTs
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 12:59:28 -0400

> On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 MGBCHRIS@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Not really.  The weight is directly proportional to how hard an engine must
> > work.  A GT engine has to work harder due to higher weight.  Simple as that!
>
> Wait a minute. Unless I am mistakes, a rolling road refers to a setup
> where the driven wheels are contacting two rollers which have variable
> resistance to the tires turning them. So the car is STATIONARY and the
> weight of the car is immaterial unless the car is weighed first and the
> weight entered into the rolling road computer so that it adjusts the
> roller resistance to simulate the resistance due to the vehicle inertia when
> accelerating.
> Ulix

I worked with a dynomometer that did as Ulix describes. The speed of
the rollers was hooked to a chart recorder. The faster 'you drove' the
higher the chart recorder pen went. The Chart paper had a preprinted
line on it that simulated some conditions. The 'driver' had to adjust
his 'speed' to keep the pen on the line. This way each test would be
close each other.

I tried this thing with a Chevy Chevette Diesel and the car couldn't
keep up with the paper line. And believe me the line simulated grandma
driving to church in the snow.

- -Mark