Newbie Questions

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie Questions
From: Douglas Gaither <gaither@cybergate.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 15:56:59 -0000
I am a newcomer to your ranks having just purchased my first MG.  It is a
1966 'B' that desperately needs an engine rebuild amongst other
attentions.  I have a few questions that I am hoping some of you will
take a moment to answer for me.

1) I need recommendations for parts suppliers.  My father has a '73B and
has used Moss exclusively, but after reading this group for a few days,
it seems that the general concensus is that Moss is expensive.

2) The two 6-volt batteries are toast and I noticed that in the Moss
description for their plastic battery-bay 'buckets' they mention that a
single Group 21 or Group 26 12-volt will work.  Anyone have experience?
Group 21?  Group 26?

3) Moss also lists an MGB Engine Rebuild Video (120min) by a Dr. Doolin?
I plan on rebuilding myself and am no great mechanical wizard (although
I'm no slouch).  Moss wants $62.50 for it.  Is this video good?  Waste of
money?  Other suggestions?

4) I want a book as well.  I was considering 'Guide to Purchase & DIY
Restoration' by Lindsay Porter.  I would appreciate comments or other
suggestions.

5) lastly, I am considering the 'Spin-on' oil filter adapter as it seems
much easier and cleaner (less messy) than the original oil filter setup.
Is this a good idea?

I'm not dying to preserve the originality of the car, so I don't mind
making changes.  Right now, I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

Thanks in advance for your help.  I'm going to learn a great deal from
this list and my wife is already trying to dampen my enthusiasm for
spending gobs of time on my new found hobby.

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did...
         I said I didn't know."
                                          --Mark Twain