Re: Newbie Questions

To: Douglas Gaither <gaither@cybergate.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie Questions
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 14:48:01 -0700
At 03:56 PM 7/9/96 -0000, you wrote:
>I am a newcomer to your ranks having just purchased my first MG.  It is a
>1966 'B'

Welcome to the ranks!

>4) I want a book as well.  I was considering 'Guide to Purchase & DIY
>Restoration' by Lindsay Porter.  I would appreciate comments or other
>suggestions.

This is an EXCELLENT book.  I highly recommend it but look long and hard for
the first edition.

>I'm not dying to preserve the originality of the car, so I don't mind
>making changes.  Right now, I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

While not exactly a purist myself, I still try to keep both the GT and the
TC as close to original as I can and still maintain driveability.  I have
never really understood the concourse attitude wherein one keeps absolutely
everything 100% original, even if it hampers the car.  My personal
philosophy is to improve where obviously necessary and to keep all else
original.  As an owner of older (and by definition, rarer) cars I look on it
as a responsibility to future owners ( although why I worry about DFO's I
don't know; I plan to be buried in the TC).  As an early car owner I
recommend this philosophy to you.

Cheers
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT