MGA problems

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA problems
From: Kosten Metreweli/RSG/US <Kosten_Metreweli@rens.com>
Date: 17 Jul 96 9:18:58
Hi all - I've just bought myself a 1960 MGA 1600, in really good condition.
Imported from the USA, so no rust. Wire wheels. Just had a respray in dark
blue, and a black leather interior. I've been really pleased with her so far. I
have a few problems that I need to fix, though...
1) The fuel gauge is broken (as I discovered on the motorway yesturday) -
flicks to full, when the key is turned, and stays there. I assume this is just
a case of following the wiring , and checking the sender unit (as power is
obviously getting to the gauge)
2) When the car gets hot (after typical stop-start traffic), the engine drops
off the idle, meaning I have to keep tapping the throttle when stopped, to keep
from stalling. The carbs are set to their weakest setting, which still seems a
bit rich - could this be the problem? Do I need to change the jets/needles?
3) The throttle pedal is very 'stiff', in that it is very difficult to control
it at the top of the travel. It seems to be that the springs on the carbs are
set quite taut, but I'm not sure how to loosen them.

One final thing is - what do other MGA owners out there do for security? I was
thinking of fitting a hidden switch to the fuel pump as an immobiliser, and
getting a steering lock. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

Kosten.