Gearbox questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox questions
From: Anthony Rayner <A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 22:27:09 +1000 (GMT+1000)
Hi, I'm not sure whether I have asked this question before but here goes
again....1) If have a very very noisy first gear on my MGB mark I 1965
roadster (no Overdrive).  Now, I know that the first gear is straight cut
and that it should make a bit of a whine but mine is deafening!  The
entire motor /gearbox has been completely done up but we failed to get rid
of the noise!.  We replaced the layshaft and a few of the bearings (all?)
and the needle rollers etc.  The laygear was getting a bit worn so I got
that resleeved as well.  What is the problem?  The only thing I can think
of is that the laygear first gear teeth are cut at the wrong pitch (or
first gear is wrong pitch) and this is causing the noise?  Help!  It
really makes the car sound like a piece of junk ...but I've done a full
restoration on it (body and motor) and everything is almost perfect apart
from this damn noise!!  2)...I'm still looking around for an overdrive
transmission (overhauled or not).....anyone know where one is??  Many
thanks!  Tony Rayner charayne@dingo.uq.oz.au