Re: CLUTCH COMPONENTS

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Ceicia@aol.com
Subject: Re: CLUTCH COMPONENTS
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:51:22 -0400

> I've been told that replacing the master cylinder is a job
> you only want to do once.  Does anybody have any advice to offer before I dig
> in?  I've also been told I can rebuild the slave in situ.  Again, any advice?

I just rebuilt the Clutch and Brake M/C on my '67BGT. It was a job that
I could have done on the side of the road assuming that I had the
proper wrenches, pliers and snap ring pliers and of course my trusty can
of Kroil.

IMOHO the hardest thing about removing the M/C's in order:

1) Not spilling brake fluid.
2) Getting the pedal box cover off.
3) Not breaking the pipe when loosining the connection
4) Enough clearance to swing the wrench after you get it in place.

I don't know if I could have gotten the Clutch M/C out with out the
brake M/C out first. But with the Brake M/C out it was a piece of
cake.

As far as rebuilding the slave, I found that the slave was so pitted
that it needed to be replaced. It comes off real easy. Just break loose
the line before you remove it. Remove the two bolts holding it. Then
unscrew it from the line. Check the push rod and clevis pin. Mine were
so worn I replaced them too.

- -Mark