Re: MGB 80 LIGHTS

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB 80 LIGHTS
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 96 12:43:17 -0400
Rob wrote:
>Here's the problem: When the car is put in reverse the wing lights on
>the outside rear panels go one, but no reversing lights. If I disconnect
>on of the reversing lights the wing lights go out, and the other
>reversing light goes on, but very dimly. The hazards don't work at all!!
>
>Bloody confusing if you ask me! All other lights seem to work fine!!

This sounds like a classic grounding problem to me.  I would suggest the
following.

1) make sure that all of the grounding points in the trunk area have good
connections to the body and that the connectors on the wires attached are
not frayed.  If all is found to be in good service...
2) find a good wiring diagram and trace out all of the black grounding
wires in the same area.  Odds are that a couple were disconnected and
reattached in the wrong place.  I know that a ground is a ground is a
ground, in most cases.  But, Lucas uses some of these black ground wires
as a harness carring the ground to the middle of the auto.  If you can
get the ground straight it should solve your problem.

Good luck!

John Knight

'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)
"If uniqueness makes us who we are... why be like everyone else?"