[MG] coasting Midget at idle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [MG] coasting Midget at idle
From: "MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM" <MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:56:55 -1000
I think I know the answer to this, but it never hurts to ask, and sometimes
hurts more to not ask, so....

I have a 1978 MG Midget 1500.  Is it acceptable to coast while the engine
is idling (idleing?) while going down a mountain pass?  I may be driving
the MG from Sacramento to Seattle and back in the next month or so and was
wondering if I would hurt anything by slipping the trans into neutral while
going down mountain passes, I'm thinking this would help give the engine a
break.  I should be able to coast for a few 30 mile stretches at around
60mph.  I will rev things back up to speed prior to shifting back into 4th.

Opinions or comments?  This will be approximately 850 miles each way incase
anybody is interested.  And for those with a sense of humor I'll probably
be taking my 120Lb dog in the passenger seat.  I just have to figure out
how to fit all my stuff plus 30 pounds of dog food in the trunk.  That, or
install a trailer hitch.

Mike (glutten for punishment) Jaquet