head is off...now what?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: head is off...now what?
From: pharris@eos.vf.mmc.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 08:48:46 EDT
Hi all. Thanks to everybody who responded to my starter motor question
...I haven't played with that one yet though. Anyways, last night I
pulled the head off the midget (did I mention it was leaking oil?).
The gasket was in bad shape and about a third of it was stuck
to the block and had to be scraped off with a razor. I wonder if this
is typical or if it was burned on? My real question is what else should
I inspect whilst the head is off? I`ve never SEEN an engine w/ the head
off before (kinda anticlimactic) so short of the PO replacing a piston
with a chunk of bondo (don't laugh...) I don`t really know what to look
for. Should I chase the threads in the block?

Thanks!
Keith Collins
'77 midget