Re: Midget safety

To: mgs@autox.team.net, roethler@cadetmail.uscga.edu
Subject: Re: Midget safety
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 08:41:44 -0700

> Wait a minute here.....
>
>  There was an ad in the seventies (not that I would remember, but my father
> told me....) in which a triumph spitfire was hurtling toward a brick wall
> at an amazing speed.....  and right as it was about to crush into the wall
> and make spitfire crunch, it sped by, an optical illusion.  The caption
> read:  THE OBJECT IS TO AVOID THE WALL....
>   Isn't that the object?  I mean we are always in danger of the other
> driver, but part of the beauty of my midget is that I feel safer than
> anyone else on the road, because when I see something happen only my car is
> nimble enough to dart around the problem--- let me tell you I have had
> plenty of opportunity.  So instead of throwing an air bag in your midget---
> AVOID THE WALL or drive a 65 lincoln continental and run over the guy......
>
> Brust Roethler

A very good piece of advice..., but,...I drive Highway 17 every morning. This
in itself conjures up visions of horror around these parts. Highway 17 is a
twisty
mountain road (4 lanes divided by a substantial concrete barrier. It's saved my
life and many others.) that goes from Santa Cruz to San Jose CA. It's inhabited
by
thousands of commuters and lots of 18 wheel sand trucks. (Big mommas!) When one
is between the wall and looking directly into the center of the hub of one of
these behemouths your perspective on safety does take on a new dimmension.

OK all toghether now say CRUNCH. A freind was driving his BMW to work, (It's
one of
those British Motor Works cars.;-) and was just behind a multicar pileup. The
sand
truck ALMOST stopped but expended its last few foot lbs of energy
parelellograming
(sp) and narrowing his Bimmer by about 8 inches against the wall. All the
windows
popped out. Of course the doors were SHUT but good and because of the narrowing
effect he couldn't get to the seat belt release. Insert moments of panic here!
:-0
Being a good Scoutmaster he quickly got out his Swiss Army knife, cut the seat
belt,
and climbed out through the windshield opening.

It makes me wonder how much the MGB would have folded during the process. =:-0

I can hardly wait to get the new overdrive gearbox and fresh clutch in it!! :-)

Cheers,

Ken (Old enough to recognise my mortality, still too testosterone poisoned to
care) Boetzer