Re: Positive ground music

To: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Subject: Re: Positive ground music
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 21:05:05 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, tallen wrote:
> but I am wondering what my other options are.  There's an add in Hemmings
> for a device that let's modern accessories be used in a positive ground
> car.  What is this device?  Is it something you can buy anywhere?  (I
> just got the car and am waiting for catalogues from Moss and VB).  What
> is it that won't allow radios, cd players, etc to be connected in a
> positive ground car?  Is it that the radio chassis itself gets grounded?
> Is it the antenna?  I have a BS is electrical engineering, but I must
> have cut class the day we covered automotive wiring from the 50's.

Yes, the body of the car will be positive, the body of the radio negative.
If they ever touch, you got a short.
All you have to do is insulate the radio from the car with wood, plastic,
etc.  I am not sure if the antenna must be insulated also (I think the
coax shield connects radio and antenna), I did.

I mounted a piece of plywood to the underside of the....uhm...top of the
footwell, then mounted the radio to bottom of the wood. Don't let any
screws go through the wood.  The radio is out of sight and doesn't spoil
the look of the interior.

Ulix

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy