Positive ground music

To: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Subject: Positive ground music
From: donmathis@lucent.com
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 09:58:18 -0400
.
>It's not that I don't like the sound of the road or the vroom of the
>motor, but a little Neil Young is nice once in a while too.  The car is a
>1960 MGA 1600, and it's still positive  ground.  I know I can change it,
>but I am wondering what my other options are.  There's an add in Hemmings
>for a device that let's modern accessories be used in a positive ground
>car.  What is this device?  Is it something you can buy anywhere?   What
>is it that won't allow radios, cd players, etc to be connected in a
>positive ground car?  Is it that the radio chassis itself gets grounded?
>Is it the antenna?  I have a BS is electrical engineering, but I must
>have cut class the day we covered automotive wiring from the 50's.
>
>TIA,
>
>Tom

"And now for something totally different":  I agree with you in that I would
like some music and even play cassettes.  I like the '60s look of an MGA and
I think that if I add ANY of today's radios to the car, they just won't look
right in the car. Also as a mechanical engineer, I'm not that good with
electron tubing, so......

Radio Shack sells a 20 Watt/channel stereo amplifier that is about
4"x4"x1.5". ($20) I plan to mount that under the driver's seat to the wooden
floor.(i.e. electrically insulated and out of sight)  I saw a 12V battery
connector recently at PEP Boys that had an attached wire with a crimpable
connector for wiring up such things as this amplifier direct (through a
fuse) to the battery.  I have an extra toggle switch on my dash that will be
used to turn this amplifier on.

I plan to make 2 metal speaker holders which will be mounted in the
footwells.  I had this arrangement before in a TR4A and it worked well.  (I
studied acoustics and vibrations for 4 years in graduate school, designed
Navy hydrophones for 4 years for Bell Labs, and designed stereo headphones
for Koss Corp.in Milwaukee for 4 years.  We can debate auto acoustics at a
later date but believe me;  there's a lot of money wasted in auto stereo
systems.)

Sony makes a portable stereo radio/cassette player($39-$49) that is
approximately the size of a cassette.  It has 5 memory station buttons for
AM/FM stations and it plays cassettes. It also has a signal seeking button.
(You can tune your radio without having to look at it or turn a dial.) I
plan to mount it in a small black spring clip attached to the tunnel just
aft of the stick shift close to where my arm lies on the armrest. ('sounds
like James Bond kinda doesn't it?!)  Note that the antenna is internal so I
won't have to run a wire to my existing antenna.

I may continue to use the radio/cassette player, battery supply  depending
on how long it lasts.  I will take the headphone jack output to go to the
amplifier.  If I park in an area that appears vandal prone, I'll just remove
the radio and stick it in my pocket or in the trunk.  Total cost : about $60
+ cost of speakers + wiring.

Did you ever listen to bagpipe music as you drive?  You sure won't go to sleep!!

Don Mathis,Ph.D.
LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
donmathis@lucent.com
'61 MGA     '37 Bentley