Dynamo's, tranny's & differential's

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dynamo's, tranny's & differential's
From: Douglas Gaither <gaither@cybergate.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 16:55:56 -0000
Looking for a bit of net wisdom.

1) My local MG expert is recommending to me that I replace the
generator/dynamo on my '66B to a later model alternator.  He says that it
will charge better (because it is always charging the batteries) as well
as eliminating a bunch of wiring and the regulator(?) as well.  I've
tried finding out just what the differences are between the two devices
to no avail.  I've never seen any books that recommend this change.

What says ye of great knowledge and wisdom?  As far as I know, my
generator is not bad.  I am going to have to re-work (wrap) my wiring
harness and would rather make any changes BEFORE I begin that task.

2) Also, since I'm pulling the engine for a rebuild, he is also
suggesting substituting a later 4-syncro for my 3-syncro.  Stating
quieter operation.  He has a source for a used known-good tranny for
about $200 (I do not know the condition of mine since I purchased the car
in not-running condition).

3) Do I need to do anything to the differential?  The books I have tell
how to take it apart, but unfortunately, do not say WHEN it might need
some attention.

4) Bonus question- a few days ago, someone referred to the standard MGB
jack as a 'PITA'.  What exactly is a 'PITA'?

TIA,

Doug

     Lottery...
                     a tax for people that are not good at math.