Re: Dynamo's, tranny's & differential's

To: Douglas Gaither <gaither@cybergate.com>
Subject: Re: Dynamo's, tranny's & differential's
From: Bill D <billd@voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 20:06:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Douglas Gaither wrote:

> 1) My local MG expert is recommending to me that I replace the
> generator/dynamo on my '66B to a later model alternator.

If you drive the car much, and you're not concerned about originality, a
properly done alternator conversion will help, especially if you have
current sucking accessories on the car like extra lighting.

Beware though--I've seen lots of shops that don't know what they're
doing.... also get it so you can easily change back if originality ever
becomes important to you.

> 2) Also, since I'm pulling the engine for a rebuild, he is also
> suggesting substituting a later 4-syncro for my 3-syncro.

No, no, no.  This requires modification to the trans tunnel to get the
'box to clear, also substitution of the later starter.  If your 3-synchro
box works, why bother?

> He has a source for a used known-good tranny for
> about $200

Too much.  Expect to pay about $100 for a 4-synchro non-O/D gearbox.

> 4) Bonus question- a few days ago, someone referred to the standard MGB
> jack as a 'PITA'.  What exactly is a 'PITA'?

That was my post.

PITA== "Pain In The [Anatomy]"

Bill
'71 MGB (daily driver)

--
billd@doa.net billd@voicenet.com  (Bill D)
"Yesterday, apropos of nothing, one friend said to me 'Do you ever have