Re: Rebuilding an MGA 1500

To: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding an MGA 1500
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:23:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, David Littlefield wrote:

> "Bluprinting" is one of those terms that uninformed people (like me)
> throw out trying to impress other uninformed people with their great

<clip>

> place in the engine where one moving part touches another.  In
> blueprinting, all or most of these clearances are reduced to the closest
> factory spec.  Whereas when the car was built the factory would allow a
> relatively wide tolerance, which means that any particular engine could
> have clearances at either end of a fairly wide range.

> I hope I'm not all wet with this, since its been seven or so years since
> I redid my engine.  If I am I hope the list subscribers will be kind in
> correcting me, although I might deserve some ribbing for using the term
> in the first place.;)

Probably someone has said something by now; I just got back from vacation
and I'm going through a big backlog.  My understanding of blueprinting has
been different from what you describe.  Basically, I've understood it to
mean that one builds the engine within factory tolerances (so as to stay
within racing rules that require stock engines), but to use those
tolerances in the factory range that provide the best performance.
Generally, this would mean using tolerances at the large end of the
factory range, not reducing them to the minimum factory spec.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910