RE: TD Rocker arm questions

To: bobd@dynacomm.fse.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TD Rocker arm questions
From: "Blair Engle" <engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 15:05:28 -0500 (EST)
In message Fri, 30 Aug 1996 17:41:59 -0500,
  bobd@dynacomm.fse.com (Bob Dallas)  writes:

> I am trying to put new bushings in my rockers and am having problems and
> need some help.  The rocker arm is of the early variety and is 14" long.
>
> First - the Moss catalog indicates that there should be springs on the
> arm - my unit has spacers.  Can we both be correct?

Some cars came with spacers.  The theory was that the springs caused
friction that would tend to cause valve float.  The spacers were a 'hop up'
trick used by autocrossers and racers.  If you don't thave too much end play
when everything is assembled, leave the spacers in.

> Second - the bushings from Moss have no indicator of how they should be
> installed. My old bushings have an indent that matches up with a recess on
> the rocker so that proper alignment is assured. Is there some trick here?

The indent is made after the bushings are in place.  They lock the bushing
in place and prevent them from rotating.  This job can be done with a wide
bladed screw driver.  Just make sure the hole in the bushing lines up with
the hole in the rocker.

> Third - after inserting the new bushing in the first rocker, the bushing
> would NOT fit on to the arm. i.e. the diameter of the arm is larger than
> the diameter of the bushing.  What should I do here?

The bushings have to be machined to fit the rocker shaft.  Take rockers &
shaft to local auto machine shop and ask them to hone the bushings to fit.
My machine shop had to buy a special hone, as the shaft was smaller than
they were used handling.

Several other things to look out for:
Check the surface of the rocker that rests on the valve.  If it is worn, the
rocker should be resurfaced.
Remove all the adjusting screws and clean out the oil hole that runs from
the bushing to the adjuster hole.  This hole gets pluged with sludge and
prevents oiling of the pushrod.  You may find that the adjusting screws will
not come out.  This is an indication that the screws are stretched and may
soon break.  They should be replaced.

Press on regardless,

Blair Engle
The Classic MG Shop