Re: Ottawa GOF TF mystery

To: BarneyMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Ottawa GOF TF mystery
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 3 Sep 1996 BarneyMG@aol.com wrote:

> The short story is that it turned out to be a sticky valve caused by tight
> valve guides.  The shop had just pressed in the new silicone-bronze valve
> guides and reassembled everything without checking clearances.  The new
> guides have a very close fit with the valve stems, and pressing them into the
> head sometimes shrinks the bore a bit.  Any new guides should be checked for
> size after installation and reamed or honed to the correct clearance if
> necessary before final assembly.

Would it be reasonable to post the name of the shop who did this, or would
that be bad form.  These guys caused you considerable damage through
shear negliance.  The valves must have been really hard to install for the
ham-fisted individual who did the installation.  Inexcuseable, I say.

On the other hand, what if they fired the guy since and otherwise do
outstanding work.....?

                                                           '67 Sprite