Re: Ottawa GOF TF mystery

To: ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: Ottawa GOF TF mystery
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:39:44 -0400
In a message dated 96-09-03 02:42:10 EDT, ulix@u.washington.edu (Ulix
Goettsch) writes:

<< On Tue, 3 Sep 1996 BarneyMG@aol.com wrote:

 > ..... sticky valve caused by tight valve guides.  The shop had just
pressed in the new silicone-bronze valve guides and reassembled everything
without checking clearances. ..... <

<< Would it be reasonable to post the name of the shop who did this, or would
that be bad form.  These guys caused you considerable damage through shear
negliance.  The valves must have been really hard to install for the
ham-fisted individual who did the installation.  Inexcuseable, I say.

<< On the other hand, what if they fired the guy since and otherwise do
outstanding work.....? >>

Right on all counts.  I consider it to be good form to share any real world
experience based on hard facts.  But sometimes it's hard to get the message
through.  Once not too long ago I wrote about a parts problem in an article
for publication.  The editor removed the name of the vendor from the article
before publication, presumably because that vendor pays for advertising in
that publication (you get the implication).  I like the format of these open
lists -- no conflict of interest here.

The shop was Downers Grove Auto Parts in Downers Grove, Illinois.  I had in
the past gotten very good service from this shop on several occasions,
usually getting my parts back within a few days.  On this particular occasion
there was a delay of more than a week, and upon inquiry I was informed that
their machinist had quit and moved out of state and the new guy was starting
the next week.  When I got a little pushy they turned the head over to some
other shop for completion on a Saturday.  It seemed very considerate of them
at the time, no extra cost to me, and I got to go racing the next day.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of that other shop.  It could be that the
other guy was treating it as a rush job and did the best he could in the time
allowed.  Still the second shop should have informed the first shop who in
turn should have kept me informed.  If I had known everything at the time, I
may have taken it back prior to final assembly and honed the guides to fit
myself.  It was an unusual set of circumstances.  I do blame DGAP for not
informing me immediately when there was going to be a delay.  Aside from that
I suppose I should also blame them for not having a better working
relasionship with the other shop, but that may be a bit of a stretch.  On the
whole I think I still trust DGAP for good service, but now each time I take
something in there I make it a point to needle them a bit about the sticky
guides, just to remind them to treat me right this time.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA