Re: Monza Exhaust

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Monza Exhaust
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 10:24:20 -0700 (PDT) (10:24 am 17:24 UT)
I installed a Monza dual-tip on Tintin in 1980.  It's still on there.
Fitting was a bitch.  It came in three sections, and as I recall, one
length was too long, the other too short.  So there was some cutting
and expanding and muffler sealer and clamps.  The system is made with
rather heavy-gauge steel, and the weight eventually broke the rear
mount on the muffler, but I manufactured a new one with angle-iron
that has held for years.  The dual-tips caused a problem the one
time I had to have it towed fifteen years ago.  The tow-truck was
a sling-type and the dual tips were getting shoved up into the rear
panel.  Ended up having to call a flat-bed.
 Come to think of it, when I had Tintin painted a few years ago, the
muffler-mount bracket was broken from inside the rear skirt, too.
 So perhaps the weight of the muffler should be carefully considered.
 I've had no problem with rust, but this is California.  On the other
hand, I was rusting through standard mufflers about every three years.
 If I were to get another at this point, I'd go with a MOSS stainless
big-bore exhaust.  Pricey, but permanent.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*