Douglas Gaither/OD installation

To: MGB <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Douglas Gaither/OD installation
From: Anthony Rayner <A.Rayner@mailbox.uq.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 19:05:01 +1000 (GMT+1000)
Dear Douglas, I am currently in the process of doing exactly what you are
doing...changing a 3 synchro 65 MGB mark I (4 speed) to OD.  I have found
out quite a few bits and pieces about this so feel free to email me and
ask me questions.  But here is a quick summary of some of the stuff I have
found out....Your current gearbox is exactly the same as the gearbox for
the OD EXCEPT for one thing...the shaft that mates the two together
(name?..motion shaft?) is a different length and you must replace it!  To
replace it you basically will have to completely dissasemble the entire
gearbox which is a lot of hassle.  A lot of people think that it is just
as easy to buy an entire OD unit with tranny etc (complete) and just stick
it onto the back of the engine...this is what I am going to do.  You will
also needs the following items...OD switch, new speedo (or you can
recalibrate you old one by taking it to an instrument shop with the
correct ratio to convert it too ...that ration is written on the speedo
somewhere...just find someone with the same type of car (3 scychro 66) and
get the number off theirs), new speedo cable (longer!)  wiring harness, OD
relay (if it isn't suppiled), vacuum switch and manifold adapter (not
necessary if you don't want it...but it is orginal)  and you may need a
new driveshaft (from gearbox to differential...the new OD transmission
will be about 2 inches shorter).  You won't need a new gearbox crossmember
(I think) but it will have to be repositioned two inches forward (holes
should already be there).  A person called Randy Balough is doing all my
stuff for me (he can supply everything that you could possibly want)...he
is very proffesional and helpful and can organise shipping etc if you want
it.  He can supply an unrestored unit or a fully rebuilt onne.  I don't
have any affiliation with randy except for the fact that he has given me
great service so far and I have heard that he is honest and stands by his
units.  His email address is MGBay@aol.com His is quite busy so if you
have any initial questions then please don't hesitate to ask me.
Hope this helps!  Tony Rayner  charayne@dingo.uq.oz.au