Timing chain slipped?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing chain slipped?
From: obertro@macatawa.org (robert clark)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 19:10:25 +0100
Richard Hauser <dchauser@ecuvm.cis.ecu.edu> wrote:
I have a 68 B that I am experiencing some problems with.  The car ran
perfect for the past two years and all of the sudden it started to not
respond when I hit the gas and begin backfiring.  I went through all the
usual tuneup stuff.  Set the valves, 2 new sets of points and condenser,
timing, carb setup all done two or three times.  Even put a distributor
off another car on it.  No effect.  Got spark, got air, got gas, no
vacumn leaks.  When I advance the timing way up (1/4 revolution) it runs
better but still not right.  Has my timing chain slipped (it doesn't
make noise)?  TIA

Sounds like you have your spark plug wires in the wrong order (or your
distributor installed 180 degrees off which results in the same thing).
Check it out.

If your symptoms only happen when accelerating, check for enough fluid in
your carb dashpots.  Top 'em up with Castrol 20w50 (lots of people prefer a
lighter oil like auto tranny fluid, but J Twist swears by 20w50).

good luck

Robert