Re: Sealant for gasoline

To: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sealant for gasoline
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:36:31 -0700
At 08:44 AM 10/9/96 -0500, you wrote:
>In <961008195850_205445359@emout07.mail.aol.com>, JBlack2881@aol.com wrote:
>>    I'm redoing my MGA  gas tank & trying to correct a long standing problem
>>with gas seepage at the fuel gauge opening. I need a new gasket, but
>>wondering what's the BEST sealant "permatex" that will withstand gasoline
>>(err  petro).
>
>The only thing that I have found that works is....Permatex.  The Old #
>2, that is.  RTV compounds and hylomax just don't cut it--they
>dissolve or swell up and make a gooey mess.  Been there, done that.
>
>                               A. B. Bonds

Just to add my 2 cents worth.....

While at the GOF West this year we attended a tech session on properly
adjusting the stroke on SU fuel pumps.  One of our group had been having a
problem with his pump all the way down.  After the session a group of us
went out to the parking lot to try out our new found knowledge.  We
disassempled and adjusted his pump (it was WAY out of adjustment) but
destroyed his gaskets while doing so.  We could not find a suitable
replacement material and were about to make a run into town when another
member of our group showed up and recommended Loctite gasket eliminator
(RED). He said he always carries some with him. The package claimed it was
impervious to gasoline so we tried it.  We scraped off all traces of gasket
from all four mating surfaces and applied this goo as instructed.  Much to
almost everyone's surprise it worked like a charm.  To the best of my
knowledge it's still there.   I, for one, am very impressed.

Cheers
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT