Re: MGA Choke Was:Beautiful Day for a Drive

To: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Subject: Re: MGA Choke Was:Beautiful Day for a Drive
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:02:58 -0600 (MDT)
On Fri, 11 Oct 1996, tallen wrote:

> As long as we're all talking about chokes, I have a question about mine on
> my '60 MGA.  The question is:  Shouldn't it do something?  This car sat

Yes.  It should move levers on the carbs that lower the jets to enrich
the mixture.

> for 10 years, then the owner got it running (a condition for me buying
> it), but I don't know what was done and what wasn't.  I don't understand
> how SU's work and never will.  Then NPO (he's helped me out a lot) took
> one apart and explained how everything works, and I understood at that
> moment in time, but aparently it was one of those fleeting moments.  Also,
> I should mention that after the car warms up (just a minute or so), it
> runs like crap, idles at like 400 RPM if you can call that an idle.  Is
> something stuck?  The car fires right up, so I think it's like the choke
> is all the way on, also I think it's running really rich.  I think I'm

Sounds rich.  Is your air temp cool or cold when it starts right up
without the choke?  If so it's rich.  Are your sparkplugs/tailpipe really
sooty?  You can't really adjust your carbs until you know everything else
like timing, ignition, etc. are correct first.

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA                kevins@khoral.com
Khoral Research Inc.                      http://www.khoral.com
Albuquerque NM USA