Re: Rust-Oleum

To: railroad@itw.com, RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com
Subject: Re: Rust-Oleum
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 02:50:05 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-15 23:08:11 EDT, railroad@itw.com (Glen R. Wilson)
writes:

<< I have a question about enamel for the group. Can a dull area be made
 > glossy by polishing or buffing, or do these techniques only apply
 > to lacquer paint? If polishing works, what kind of compound should I
 > buy? >>

If their ready to repaint the car anyway, the person with the dull Rust-Oleum
paint job has little to lose by using Rubbing or Polishing compound by Rain
Dance. This stuff is available about everywhere. The Rubbing Compound is
coarser than the Polishing Compounding.

They could try these by hand and see which one (may both) helps, then, if
they have access to an electric buffer, AND ARE VERY CAREFUL, finish the job
with it. There is a trade off using the buffers. You can get more done
quicker, but you can also burn through a spot if your technique is off.

Meguiar also has a line of "professional" products which can be used by hand
or with a buffer. I have used their "Swirl Remover" to take out swirls after
buffing with other coarser products. Western Auto usually carries these as
well as many stores with more complete selections.

I'd be interested in hearing how that paint job comes out. It depends on how
well the paint was applied in the first place and the finesse of the person
attemting to rub it out.

R. Johnson - Dallas