Re: LBC parts: Australian Import Duty and Sales Tax

To: Owen Michaels-Hardy <omhardy@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: Re: LBC parts: Australian Import Duty and Sales Tax
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:52:49 -0700
At 09:32 AM 10/24/96 +1000, you wrote:
>I was thinking of ordering some parts from the UK and have just been
>informed by Australian Customs that on any parts for motor vehicles produced
>after 1963 Sales Tax and Import Duty of 46% must be paid on the invoice value.
>
>Made me wonder whether other governments, particularly the American,
>Canadian, New Zealand, are also into extorting their population of LBC lovers?
>
>Are there any Australians on the list who have found ways to 'minimise' the
>duty and tax?
>
>simply curious

Can't speak for the others but Canada Customs only dings us 7% on parts for
cars over 25 years old.

[rant mode ON]

But then they charge us 7% G.S.T (commonly known as the Grief and Suffering
Tax) on every- @#$*ing -thing.  If they could figure out how to enforce
wearing a meter, they'd tax the friggin' air!  Canadians are the highest
taxed people in the world! (that's a FACT, not an opinion!)  I hate
that.........

[rant mode OFF]

Paradoxically, being a left wing pinko type, I'm proud of what our taxes buy
us.  Typically, being a left wing pinko type, I'm opposed to NAFTA.
Paradoxicaly, being an LBC owner, I like the fact the NAFTA has dropped the
duty on newer car parts manufctured in North America to something like 12%.
Typically, being an LBC owner, I can't afford to buy all the parts I need
(want?).

Paradoxicaly, even I don't know what I just said.  Typically, I said it
anyway.....

???????
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT