Re: your mail

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <gchateauvieux@macromedia.com>
Subject: Re: your mail
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:16:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Gerard Chateauvieux wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for repairing/replacing the welded frame
> brackets that hold the inner fulcrum bolt and special washers on the
> wishbone/lower suspension member on a Sprite. This is the bracket with the
> large round hole with the small rectangular slot above it. Someone has made

My car had been a race car, and one of the holes was torn.  I carefully
cut out the damaged part, cut a repair section, beveled the edges of
both, and butt welded the repair in with a mig welder.  In retrospect, I
wish I had had a professional welder do it, if only because a larger
welder would perhaps have given better penetration.  In any case, it is
still there 4 years later so I guess it will stay forever.

If it is simply a matter of the hole being enlarged, it might do to weld
along the edge of the part that is enlarged, to partly fill the hole,
then grind the hole back to the proper diameter with a die grinder (ha,
everyone though I would suggest using a dremel, right?)

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910