RE: Red Line MTL in British trannies?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Red Line MTL in British trannies?
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 11:27:46 +0800
To quote from the Red Line brochure:

"...MTL may be used in transmissions which recommend 75W or 80W GL-4
gear oils, ATFs, or SAE 30 or 5W/10W/30 motor oils. If a 90W GL4 or
SAE 40 or 10W40 is required, MT-90 may be used. <snip> Seal
compatibility has been designed to be similar to petroleum lubricants,
and leakage should be no greater than any other oil of comparable
viscosity..."

MTL is classed as a 75W/80W (but closer to almost-70W/almost-85W, they
claim), while MT-90 is 75W90. Neither has the EP (GL-5) additives
which eat syncros, and, as well,  Red Line has taken into account the
fact that most synchros (and overdrives) require some friction between
mating surfaces to operate properly. They claim to maintain a much
better coefficient of friction, shear stability, and relatively
constant viscosity across a much wider range of temperatures than
standard lubricants.

Since the recommended lubricant for all MGB gearboxes, according to my
Haynes manual, is Castrol GTX 20W50, it sounds to me as though Red
Line MT-90 would be the preferred choice, of the two.

I have been using Castrol GTX 20W50 in the warmer months, then
switching to 10W40 for winter use, because otherwise the LH overdrive
on my B's gearbox works very poorly when the temperature drops below
freezing. This year, I'll still put GTX 10W40 in the engine, but I'm
going to try MT-90 in the gearbox. My local Britcar store, Autosport
(Seattle), sells and recommends the stuff, and they haven't given me
any bad advice on anything so far.

Jerry Causey
1967 MGB GT (with a '78/'79 drive train)