Warm Running Sprite

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Warm Running Sprite
From: SMitch1441@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 01:14:31 -0400
My '63 Sprite (1098cc) which has less than 3,000 miles on a completely
rebuilt motor and a recently rodded out radiator runs on the warms side when
climbing even slight grades.  The temperature gauge will climb from 180 to
200-210 degrees.  The engine will also begin knocking.  I recently installed
a VB ten row oil coller that has helped a little.  The knocking has gone.  I
hought this modification would have cured the problem.  I'm currently running
a 180 degree thermostat with Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs.  I live in
California where the ambient temperature is on the warm side.

What should I try next to cure this problem?  Am I running too hot a
thermostat?  Should I be using a 160 degree thermostat?  Are the spark plugs
the wrong temperature range?  Could it be a timing problem?

A few more questions.  Can I install the six bladed fans in the VB catalog on
the original water pump hub and still clear the radiator?  Would this
modification help?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks