Re: Warm Running Sprite

To: SMitch1441@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Warm Running Sprite
From: johnhaynes@SOM-UKY.CAMPUS.MCI.NET (John Haynes)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 22:23:04 -0500 (EST)
At 01:14 AM 10/27/96 -0400, SMitch1441@aol.com wrote:
>My '63 Sprite (1098cc) which has less than 3,000 miles on a completely
>rebuilt motor and a recently rodded out radiator runs on the warms side when
>climbing even slight grades.  The temperature gauge will climb from 180 to
>200-210 degrees.  The engine will also begin knocking.  I recently installed
>a VB ten row oil coller that has helped a little.  The knocking has gone.  I
>hought this modification would have cured the problem.  I'm currently running
>a 180 degree thermostat with Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs.  I live in
>California where the ambient temperature is on the warm side.
>
>What should I try next to cure this problem?  Am I running too hot a
>thermostat?  Should I be using a 160 degree thermostat?  Are the spark plugs
>the wrong temperature range?  Could it be a timing problem?
>
>A few more questions.  Can I install the six bladed fans in the VB catalog on
>the original water pump hub and still clear the radiator?  Would this
>modification help?
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.
>
>Thanks

Hello SMitch
None of the items you mention seem to get to the heart of your problem.I
have three suggestions.  Look  for steam out the exhaust pipe [after the car
has warmed up]  . Could be a cracked head but more likely the head nuts need
to be retorqued.Lastly, nobody uses the proper thermostat for the older
models. It was made by Smith, and has a sleave attached to it which moves up
when hot to block the bypass hole. A thermostat without this sleave allows
part of the hot water out of the head to pass back into the block uncooled.
Stant is said to have a sutable replacement, but I cant verify that.
Sam Haynes TR3 Original Owner
59 Bugeye