Re: A little radiator lead - what to do?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, healeys@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A little radiator lead - what to do?
From: jpquinn@cyberramp.net (John P. Quinn)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:07:14 -0600
Well it's your car but I wouldn't put any of that canned stuff to plug leaks
in my radiator.  Not even my wifes '90 Cavalier (Piece of XXXX)  Liquids
don't fix mechanical problems.

I'd take it off and bring it to a good radiator shop and have it
professionally repaired.  You may find that under pressure, there are other
tiny holes about to pop.  Thats the only way to deal with a problem
radiator.  Ask a pro radiator man what they think of Fix-O-Radiator in a can.

My understanding is those different cans of hole finding solids mixed with
unknown liquids aren't good for the radiator, water pump, thermostat or
engine block.  And it's hard to get it back out of the system completly.

>I've discovered a little leak in my radiator and am not sure what
>lengths to go to to repair it.
>
>My '79 B is squirting a little water/steam out of a (smaller than a)
>pin hole near the top of the radiator.
>
>My question is...does this require a radiator overhaul or will some of
>that gooey goopy stuff you add to your radiator fluid to repair small
>holes do the trick?
>Frank Sperling
>79B "Mugs"

Jay Quinn    -     '62 Austin-Healey MKII Sprite
jpquinn@cyberramp.net
www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn
PGP Encryption Key Upon Request