Overdrive freshening?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive freshening?
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 17:02:43 -0500 (EST)
  Gang,

  I bought an MGB O/D transmission from another list member this past
  weekend (...and there was much rejoicing!).  The gearbox needs to
  be freshened up with new gaskets and seals, but appears to be in fine
  shape otherwise (shifts easily, no chipped gears, no metal bits in
  the old oil, etc, etc...)  On to the questions:

  I've never done any maintenance on an O/D unit.  What are the servicable
  parts in an LH overdrive (if anything)?  Also, I've heard that the
  *only* way to test the O/D lump is with it installed in the car.
  Is that really true or are there some general tests to perform?

  I have no reason to doubt the unit- it spins freely and is nice and
  clean inside.  But I'd really hate to install the unit and find out
  the O/D isnt O/D-ing because of an $0.80 O-ring :-(   Suggestions?

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA