Re: Overdrive freshening?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive freshening?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 29 Oct 1996 18:16:53 -0600
In <Pine.ULT.3.91.961029162133.19917G-100000@ttown.apci.com>, S. L.
Hower wrote:

>  I bought an MGB O/D transmission from another list member this past
>  weekend (...and there was much rejoicing!).

Good for you!

>  I've never done any maintenance on an O/D unit.  What are the servicable
>  parts in an LH overdrive (if anything)?

You should have a service manual if you are going to go exploring.
The Bentley manual covers what you need to know, and more.  The main
issues are the filter screen and the solenoid.  The solenoid usually
measures about 5-7 ohms to ground.  If it is open circuit, you need to
investigate, more readily done with the unit off the car.  The filter
screen is easily changed.  There are a couple of flexible magnets
mounted under the screen to catch metal bits--these should be cleaned
off as well.  There are some O rings in the valves, but they are a bit
harder to get to.  I gave them a by on my unit, installed it--and it
works fine.  Not much else you can easily do.

>  Also, I've heard that the
>  *only* way to test the O/D lump is with it installed in the car.

Kee-rect.  The OD works from a hydraulic pump that is driven by the
output shaft of the tranny.  It needs to be going at something like a
few hundred RPM in order to develop enough pressure to engage the O/D.
Not easily done off the car.

                        A. B. Bonds