Re: 195/60 on stock MGB rims?

To: DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu
Subject: Re: 195/60 on stock MGB rims?
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 21:08:38 -0500
 I've been running 195/60 Pirelli's on my 72BGT with stock Rostyles for the
last 6 years. I've yet to have a problem related to the "larger" width tyre
on the car. I'm now on my second set. The first managed to get 34,500 miles
before needing replaceing. Don't know about the second set, check back in
about 2 years.
  Seriously, before I installed the 195's I checked with one of the local
tyre suppliers about running such a tyre on a 5" rim. According to them, and
the factory specs they refered to, the 195 is about the widest tyre  you
should run on a 5" rim, safely.
  Just be sure to check the clearance closely on the inside of the tyre after
mounting as in some cases, the tyre can be very close to suspension
components and under hard cornering could rub.  Generally this is a function
on the individual car and brand of tyre, combination. As I said, with MY car
and the Pirelli's , I've had no problems at all.  '
  And that bit of extra rubber can make a whale of a difference in
handling!!!

Rick Morrison                                                  Spartanburg,
SC
72 MGBGT