Re: MGB Fuel Tank Replacement

To: JKearman@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB Fuel Tank Replacement
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 18:02:45 -0800
JKearman@aol.com wrote:

> I'm going to be replacing the fuel tank on my 72 B this weekend. It looks
> pretty straightforward: drain tank, disconnect sending unit, remove filler,
> vent, and output hoses, remove bolts, tank drops out.
>
> What am I overlooking? I plan to inspect the outside of the trunk floor above
> the tank and repair any rust while I'm at it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim Kearman

Jim:
I highly recommend using Corroless (from Eastwood) or POR-15 for
treating any rust you find!  I've had great luck with both products.

I also suggest re=locating the fuel pump to get it away from all the
heat and weather exposure.  Later "Bs" had the Lucas pump placed halfway
into the trunk area.  I've known a lot of folks who placed the entire
pump inside the trunk.  My Dad and I did this to his '64 B and it
makes roadside servicing of the pump a lot easier!

Good Luck,
Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA   "Too many "Bs" to count, but who's counting?"