Vacuum troubles on Midget 1500

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vacuum troubles on Midget 1500
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:10:10 -0500
> The vacuum advance should be connected to "ported" vacuum.  This is a
> vacuum port that is located just in front of the throttle plate.  This port
> will not supply vacuum at idle but will advance the timing once the
> throttle is opened.  When I made the conversion on my Spitfire, connecting
> the vacuum advance directly to the manifold caused the engine to idle too
> fast and unevenly.

  Too fast idle is a symptom I do have. I blamed it on a number of
things I didn't want to deal with and left it alone, but perhaps
this is actually the problem.

> To locate a ported vacuum supply, either look at the carb if you can or
> connect a vacuum gauge to the available ports on the back of your
> carburator until you find one where vacuum is reduced at idle.   Mine was
> located on the bottom of the mounting flange on my Stromberg 150CD.

  Sounds like it's flashlight time around the old Midget. I haven't put
it away yet, but I'll wait and make sure I can get another fall drive
in. I'm the type of guy to go change this, then not drive it until
March,
and come then have no idea why it doesn't ride so well because I screwed
it up in November.

> As an aside,  My Spitfire quit the second time that I ever drove it due to
> the wonderful Lucas electronic ignition packing it in.  My four year old
> daughter was along and she wouldn't ride in the car again for a long time
> after that.  I only hope that it didn't scar her for life!

   Mine quit in the parking lot of the local repair shop. I had
just gone in to get the new engine installed. I took it for a short
test drive, worked great. Went back, settled up the bill, smiled, and
then couldn't get out of the lot.

   I certainly can't complain, there are a lot of worse places
to have an incapacitating failure. Twenty minutes later I had
a set of points installed and I was on the road.

--
        Trevor Boicey          1992 Celica GT    1975 MG Midget