MGB fuel tank replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB fuel tank replacement
From: Mowog1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:46:06 -0500
This is a fairly simply procedure.....I replaced the tanks in both my B and
my C in one afternoon. New hardware is available from Moss, Vicky Brit, as
well as other sources. Don't forget new gasket and slip ring for sending unit
and gasket for tankside entry of filler neck. Later cars could benefit from
replacement of rubber hose to fuel pump as well.

If you are lucky, all bolts will come loose without breaking the "captive"
nuts loose...pre-treatment with WD 40 or other penetrating oil from bottom
side will help immensely. (I would be hesitant to use a heat
source...BOOM!)...Bolts can be drilled from topside if needed (use care)..the
two bolts in the back can be a pain if this procedure is necessary.

After tank is removed, clean the bottom side of the boot and undercoat. Also
clean and paint the tank...use undercoating (especially the topside...this is
where they rust!)..Install the sending unit and new insulating rubber straps
before installing the tank. While tank installation is easier with two
people, it can be done with one using a hydrallic floor jack and a block of
wood. Do not forget to use anti-sieze on the bolts...future owners will thank
you!

Take your time and use your head....gas vapours are highly explosive!

Dispose of old tank properly.

Cheers!

rick ingram - NAMGBR  #0-134
                     - AMGCR #985