RE: RE: Need help with MGB leaks

To: "'MG4EVR@aol.com'" <MG4EVR@aol.com>
Subject: RE: RE: Need help with MGB leaks
From: "David M. Hall" <dlhall@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 02:18:52 -0800
Oh my..  You don't want to know!

I bought new chrome strips since the old ones were quite shot.  As far as
installing
goes... first off, I started by covering the chrome with some electrical tape
to help
keep it from getting scratched.  Next I put in the a couple of corner pieces
(they
needed some trimming off to mate up nicely with the long pieces) and then
started
the task of getting the long strips in.  This is a pain.  I would get about 3
inches of
one side of the chrome in, and start on the other side.. As I got closer to
where I
was on the first side, it started to pop back out.  The technique I finally
ended up with
was to get as much of one side started (about 6+ inches), and then work the
other
side under the rubber with a little screwdriver, 1/8" at a time!  Push the
screwdriver
under a little ways, and then pull it out all the way around to pop the rubber
out over
the chrome.    Major chore.  It helps if the rubber is warm and plyable, and
windex
worked as a fairly good lubricant.

Let me know if you have any more questions, as I know what I did, but I don't
know if I described it right.

Dave