Re: Primers.....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Primers.....
From: dondaves@ix.netcom.com (Don Daves)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:20:01 -0800
Ross MacPherson wrote,
>Greetings All....
>As work progresses, albeit slowly, on my GT I've reached the stage
>were I need a good primer with excellent filling properties....

>I need something with exceptional filling capabilities and relatively
>simple application........

Ross,  one word - Kondar.  This is a great surfacer/filler that can be
applied with multiple coats until even the worst pitting is covered.
Spray 2-3 heavy coats, let dry a few hours and block-sand until the
undercoat starts to show through.  You'll still see the pitting until
the surrounding "higher" areas are sanded away.  Re-spray and sand till
the pits disappear.  This a product of PPG, so it's best to use all PPG
products from start to finish for best results and always follow their
fact sheets.  The other companies also have their own surfacer/filler
products and may be as good or better - use whoever is handy.
bare metal must be primed before using Kondar.  PPG makes a 2-part
epoxy primer that really bonds well.

One caution:  All these 2-part paints and primers are notoriously
toxic.  Use the best respirator you can afford that is approved for
this use.  Another concern is if you live in a typical suburb with
other homes close by - well, the kondar doesn't smell too bad, but that
epoxy stuff is potent and will cause you no end of grief if someone
complains to your local air resources regulatory agency.  If you're
located in  California like me, using this stuff without a full
containment booth and all the required equipment is not worth risking a
visit from the CA. Air Resources Board.

Above all, have fun and good luck!

Don Daves  <dondaves@ix.netcom.com>
Santa Cruz, CA