Futher camshaft musings

To: jmel@netcom.com
Subject: Futher camshaft musings
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 08:25:38 -0500 (EST)

> Unless I'm mistaken, every time a cam is ground, the lobe height would be
> less (the diameter of the lobe decreases), the profile also decreasing.  I
> assume it can be ground until the cam no longer meets the specs.  This would
> indicate that your "new" cam has been ground more times than your "old" cam
> - proving once again that 'new' & 'old' are relative terms, especially in
> the LBC realm.

  Ok, according to Ken's very helpful explaination of how to go from
camshaft measurements to valve lift, I took the measurements again and
arrived at valve lift values of:

        Spec    Old     New
Exhaust 0.364   0.370   0.402
Intake  0.364   0.370   0.413

  So the old cam is basically in spec (I'm attributing the .006 difference
to measurement errors), and the new cam gives significantly more lift (about
9% on Exhaust and 11% on intake).  Now, how can I measure duration of the
valves?

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit