Re: Why standard?

To: Paul/Ian Graham <gramf@digisys.net>
Subject: Re: Why standard?
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:20:28 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Paul/Ian Graham wrote:

> Ross, So what exactly are you saying?  Can I go down to my local NAPA and
> pick up some fine or coarse thread SAE bolts for use on the GT or do I have

In short, yes you can.  The vast majority of the nuts and bolts on your
car will be the same as SAE fine thread.  Threads in aluminum castings
and such are often coarse thread, which is the same as our coarse
thread.  Exceptions would be in the screws smaller than 1/4 inch, which
are generally different, and perhaps some parts from outside suppliers.
A book on B restoration, like Porter's, will tell you where the threads
are different.  Whitworth taps and dies will be little or no use.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910