Re: Keying

To: Keith Hartman <klh24@csufresno.edu>
Subject: Re: Keying
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 06:37:23 -0600
Keith Hartman wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I am new to the lest and my 74mg roadster, I bought the car without a
> Key for the ignition as the owner lost it. the car was stored for ten
> years. How can I take the ignition out of this car? It seems to be held
> in by two larg bolts that look like rivites. Is it posable for a
> locksmith to make a key without taking the ignition out of the car?
>
> Thanks

Keith -
        Those two large bolts that look like rives are bolts.  They are
special type with a twist-off hex head.  When installed, the heads would
break off when the proper torque would be reached.  You can remove them
by making a slot in the top with a hacksaw (carefully) or with a Dremel
tool.  I would think a locksmith could then make a new key.  BTW, if you
need a new pair of these bolts, I have two with the heads still intact.
Let me know.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX