alternator woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator woes
From: Allen Williams <ajwillia@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:33:47 -0800
I need some ideas on tracking down the cause of failures in 3 Lucas
alternators in the past 2 months on my '74 B. No wiring mods, evidence
of shorts, or loose connections. The first one died on the way to a car
show. I bought a rebuilt one, drove home(275 miles) and it died. Sent it
back, got another. It worked for a few weeks (drove about 100 miles) and
it quit! All three times the indicator light circuit went out. The
alternator definitely does not charge, but you don't know it until you
switch on the ignition and the idiot light doesn't come on.             Anyone
out
there ever have a problem like this?