Re: alternator woes

To: Allen Williams <ajwillia@ua1vm.ua.edu>, "[unknown]" <MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: Re: alternator woes
From: Larry Hoy <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Nov 96 18:46:11 EST
Message text written by Allen Williams
>I need some ideas on tracking down the cause of failures in 3 Lucas
alternators in the past 2 months on my '74 B. No wiring mods, evidence
of shorts, or loose connections. The first one died on the way to a car
show. I bought a rebuilt one, drove home(275 miles) and it died. Sent it
back, got another. It worked for a few weeks (drove about 100 miles) and
it quit! All three times the indicator light circuit went out. The
alternator definitely does not charge, but you don't know it until you
switch on the ignition and the idiot light doesn't come on.  Anyone out
there ever have a problem like this?
<

Allen,

I had the same problem, went through 2 alternators (the third is on the car now)
in 1000 miles.  I would hope that this is the last one!  They were Lucas
alternators that were rebuilt, I bought them from the local parts store (Checker
Automotive).  The indicator light never came on.  I only knew the problem
existed when my car would not start.  The parts store was good about replacing
them but of course I would rather have had a good one the first time!  I can
only assume that the alternator was at fault?  Everything else on my car seems
to be functioning correctly.  If anyone else has any pearls of wisdom I would be
interested.

Larry
1969 MGB