Re: sacrilege challenge

To: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: sacrilege challenge
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 05:49:00 -0800
The Richards wrote:

> I received a few direct notes about sacrileges done unto Bs, and it got me
> thinking about such things. I wonder if anyone out there dares relate TO THE
> LIST, not just to me you cowards, personal experiences with sacrileges done
> to MGs -- knowing that someone is likely to defend many such endeavors. I'm
> not an originality freak, I'm removing the side moulding and welding shut
> the resultant holes on my B, and I've done away with the rust catcher seam
> atop the rear fender/wings. But the condition I found this poor 67 was
> surely sacrilegious:
>     Rear leaf spring shackles to raise suspension about four inches or more,
> so that it would clear oversized chromed-dished wheels. Front springs
> chocked with blocks of aluminum to achieve same effect  over slightly
> smaller version of same styled wheels. A large psuedo coat-of-arms shield
> representing "Morris Garages" had been painted upon the bonnet -- actually
> occupying 90% of the bonnet area, with ribbons painted down the front
> fender/wings. A curly-que coach line was taped down the sides of the car.
>    What do you think? Sacrilege, right? Needless to say, it may have been a
> con designed to get me to purchase the vehicle at too high a price. It
> worked. I just couldn't leave it in such ignominy.
>
> Michael, New Bern, NC
> 67 B rescued from "Hotroditis", but now suffering from sitting in primered
> pieces.

Hey Michael (and fellow listers)!

I think your car wins the prize!  Without revealing my age (42), I must
admit that I have never seen or heard of a MGB quite like yours!  I am
curious, though about the sale price.  Did you actually pay american
money for such a beast or did the DPO pay you? :>)

If I wasn't smiling so much, I would say that you have sparked my
imagination for my next project car (not!!)

Here in California, I guess we aren't as wild and crazy as some would
make us out to be.  The worst damage I have seen sone to a car that I
have owned was:  a '66 B (pull handle) that had been "modernized" with a
five main engine (that's OK), later tranny, no o/d, with hacked out (I
mean really hacked out) tunnel (not OK), side marker lights from a later
B, strip lights from Pep Boys on the door panels (for that "cool" look
when cruising at night!) and a few other notions which I dare not
mnention (for fear of starting a whole new generation of whacky ideas!).

I for one have de-seamed rear wing seams (after observing rust there in
my '67 GT - after a complete bare metal restoration 2 years previously!)
I am in the process of installing a Ford Capri V6 in another B.  Have
installed Sebring fibreglass fender kit in another car.

Am currently working on a MGB GT based kit car, using subframes (front,
15" and rear, 6"), Rover 3.5L V8 for power, Mustang II IFS and rear end
(wider track, better ratio in rear end).  GT top and hatch removed, (the
Sawzall and plasma cutter helps me out here!), '92 Ford Escort
taillights, '92 Honda Accord headlights, side windows and vents removed.

So maybe I fall into the DPO category of your car!  I am trying to make
a tasteful update on the B, since I can't afford a MGF!  If the car
turns out ugly, at least it will be fast enough that no one will get a
chance to look too closely at it!  And I will promise to keep it locked
up, to avoid the ugly stares!

OK Michael, now you've started the "Purist Wars".  Let the games begin!

Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA             "I do restore MGBs, too!"