Re: Rubber Bumper MGB-GT Rover V8 Question

To: railroad@itw.com
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumper MGB-GT Rover V8 Question
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 13:49:12 -0600 (CST)
Glen R. Wilson writes:
> I'm thinking of someday doing a GT with a Rover V8.  I've read some info
> on the conversion process and understand that the only the rubber
> bumpered cars will accept the V8 without a fair amount of conversion
> work to the engine compartment.
>
> My guess is that the rubber bumpered GT's are about the least sought
> after MGB's there are, so it may be a good economics.  The problem is
> that I don't like the appearance of the rubber bumpers.

Understand that rubber-bumpered GTs were only sold for a year or so here
in the US.  Therefore, the vast majority of GTs available will be
chrome-bumpered.  You may have luck finding a rubber-bumper Tourer
junker (say it five times fast) for possible sheetmetal transplants, but
I wouldn't think it would ease the pain too much.

> How hard is it to back date one of these cars and install an old style
> grille and (maybe) bumpers?

>From what I've heard, hard.  The front wings have different cutouts for
park/turn lamps, and the rear wings differ around the rear lamps.  I've
never attempted it, though.

> How hard is it to lower these cars to the pre-rubber ride height?  I
> hear they do this a lot in the UK.

Relatively easy.  New rear springs are very easy.  On the front, the
proper technique is an early crossmember; shorter springs will alter
other front suspension parameters.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast