Re: Faded tonneau

To: "David F. Darby" <dfdarby@juno.com>, "[unknown]" <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Faded tonneau
From: Larry Hoy <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Nov 96 01:13:09 EST
David

Years ago I had a similar problem,  I used the vinyl paint you can find in any
parts store.  It seems do work ok.  I will look very black and very shiny.  I'm
not sure how well it will hold up on an exterior item like your tonneau.  Maybe
someone else can help.

Larry
1969 MGB
=====================================
Message text written by David F. Darby

I just had an upholsterer replace the UV-baked, jammed plastic zipper on
the MGA tonneau cover with a nifty looking and operable brass job. Cost
a reasonable $30.00.

The ancient tonneau cover is looking a bit tired though. It is, however,
free from rips, tears and rot. It is a lined canvassy sort of thing (not
"German cloth") and started out in life many years ago a smart black
color, but is now, well, almost white. Reminds one of a very faded pair
of black denim Levis.

My question is: does anyone know of a safe, color-fast dye that could be
used to try to breathe a little pizazz back into the thing? I didn't
think to ask my upholsterer for his suggestions and, as I won't be back
in the city for a few weeks, won't have the opportunity to do so right
away.

Thanks for any suggestions,

David F. Darby
Hercules Wilderness, Missouri